Monday 20 February 2012

Veggie, Veggie, Veggie, Oi, Oi, Oi

I'm having a little experiment this week and I'm going veggie...well almost.

I'm still allowing myself fish, I know to some people that's cheating but its baby steps.

Why? I hear you cry

We'll I read a post off of a friends blog
http://www.skinnylattestrikesback.com/2012/02/no-meat-no-problem-endurance-training.html
and it did get me thinking a bit.

We had Phillipa and Tom round for dinner a while back and both advocated the benefits of being veggie.
Now I love my meat, a medium rare rib eye hits the spot, bacon sarnies, bbq ribs... need I go on.
However I am big on nutrition so why shouldn't I give it a go.
Another part of me wanted to see if I really do feel any different after cutting out the meat. You have to listen to your body and I'm always curious how it reacts.
Since the 5th January I havent touched a drop of alcohol and even had to change some of my recipes to avoid cooking with it.
Now there are a lot of people who swear by giving up the booze however I'm not one of them. I don't feel ten times better than I normally would and cant really hit on any other benefits at the moment. Apart from losing the best part of a sunday normally followed by a takeaway in the evening those have disappeared.
I did recall though the last time I had a lengthy lay off the booze. On my first night out I was quite sick on just a few pints, I felt awful.
Where am I going with this, well I'm not sure but I guess it highlights how much of a poison it is to our system.

Anyway back to the whole veggie thing.
I'm also interested if it has any effect on my training. I'm currently doing gym work as well as my half marathon training.
Now I can obtain proteins from other sources but apart from whey protein some of the other veggie sources will not contain those complete amino acids.

I've kicked things off on Sunday night by making myself a nice protein banana bread which I'll try and get the recipe up online.

So for now the meats on hold

I'll be back with updates

Simon

No comments:

Post a Comment