Friday 4 May 2012

Race Review - Water of Life Half Marathon

So on March 24th 2013 at 10:00am, myself and a couple of friends took part in the Water of Life Half Marathon at Bisham Abbey National Sports Centre. This is a review of the race there was also a 10k run as well that day. It would be interesting to see what this race was like as it was voted 5th best half marathon in the country in Runners World 2011 listings.

It was a nice sunny day which is always a good start to any race however not too hot so almost perfect weather.

Getting there was no problem and the car park setup was fine plenty of room with just a little walk to the start of the event.

Registering was nice and simple with no problems.

Only problem to arise was me putting on my chipped time tag. After weaving my laces through the holes and with it securely attached to my trainer I suddenly realised I’d done it wrong.

What a donkey! Turns out the instructions quite clearly show that there were little tags to tie it to our laces.

There was quite a good atmosphere the organisers were trying to encourage a couple of runners to do it in a toilet and tap costumes. As tempting as it was I decided to pass, I do like a dress up or even a dress down ;) but not today.
 
To the run itself
We got away bang on time followed by the usual proceedings with those try to get ahead and others settling in to a rhythm. 

We had a few bottlenecks early doors with a few narrow passages followed by a couple of bridge crossings. I always find this frustrating but I accept that this is likely to be part and parcel of every race.

The route itself was very pleasant and sedate, running alongside the river Thames. Passing by other walkers, runners and plenty of dog walkers.

It was a relatively flat course and despite the potential for a good time I knew early doors that I wasn’t going to achieve a time that I wanted. Previous day’s football had taken a lot out of me but in the end I got an ok time.
Conclusion
All in all it was pleasant day, flat scenic course and decent atmosphere so it was an enjoyable run.
There wasn’t much in the way of a goody bag just a banana and water but to be fair they were doing this for charity and to generate awareness so in my book that’s fine.

Only down side for some of us was a lack of a burger van, I know but for some people (Mr Spratt) they like to treat themselves after a workout.


Ratings out of 5 for the Water of Life Half Marathon

Organisation
««««
Atmosphere
«««
Route
«««
Goody Bag
«
Recommend
«««
OVERALL
«««


No comments:

Post a Comment