Tuesday 15 May 2012

Pump up the Volume

I thought I’d do a bit more of a fun article based around one of my big motivators and I’m sure it works for plenty of others,  MUSIC. I’m sure we’ve all used it for that extra bit of speed in our runs for that extra push/rep on the weights. Grrrr

There have been plenty of studies to support the positive impact of music on athletes.  Tracks with specific tempos have been shown to improve an individual’s pace in long distance runs.   Also something as simple as music just being a distraction can help mask the fatigue that you may be experiencing.
For me its normally some heavy metal in some peoples words “raaa” music, does the job for me and gets me pumped.
Whatever you do it always helps to have those specific tunes that help to get you going.
So what are they?
I’m going to list my top ten and break them up into categories to give it a bit of variety.

The Classic
It’s a classic in every way the sort of track you love as well as everyone your age, the sort of track you want or do hear at a disco.
Sledgehammer – Peter Gabriel
The Pump
The track that has a bit of oomph, that gets your blood pumping even when you’re not exercising. The track that’s just dragged your lazy arse off that sofa
Cochise – Audioslave
Down with the kids
New music, a track you’ve recently discovered that will always be part of your work out playlist
 Break a sweat – Skrillex
Guilty Pleasure
You know you shouldn’t but you love it, let’s see those S Club 7 & steps fans
We didn’t start the fire – Billy Joel
Who?
Hidden gem, your friends haven’t heard of them, you’d never heard of them but you’re glad you discovered them
Iron – Woodkid

And then let’s just have the top 5
5 – Fitzpleasure – Alt-J
4 – Slither – Velvet Revolver
3 – Curl of the Burl – Mastodon
2 – Ten thousand fists – Disturbed
Numero Uno – Black Betty – Ram Jam

Artist / Band
Haven’t got your playlist then which band or artist do you rely upon for that motivation
Disturbed

I’d love to get some feedback on what your music choices are please, so leave a comment

Bye for now

2 comments:

  1. For me its got to be Limp bizkit - rollin
    Gets me every time

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rage Against the Machine and Pendulum for a serious/mental work out!
    Jamiroquai and Rizzle Kicks for a more funky tempo (one can almost dance on the cross trainer).
    Muse for when it's a longer duration session, when I just close my eyes and get lost for a while.

    ReplyDelete